In March of 1905, Andrew Carnegie offered to donate $150,000 to help construct a library on the Syracuse University campus. The University gathered the rest of the required endowment with a large share being contributed by John D. Archibold. Carnegie Library was designed by Professor Frederick W. Revels and Professor Earl Hallenbeck in the Renaissance style with a granite base along with terra cotta facade. The library was completed and opened two years later in the fall of 1907. The statue of Diana the Huntress, created by Anna Hyatt Huntington, was donated in 1934 and placed in the vestibule of Carnegie Library.
When E.S. Bird Library opened in 1972, texts covering the Social Sciences, Arts, and the Humanities were relocated to the new Library. Carnegie Library then underwent renovations to become the library for the Engineering and Life Sciences as well as the location for and library of the Mathematics Department. In 1973, the renovations were completed and the Mathematics Department moved from Smith Hall to the newly renovated Carnegie Library.
Today, Carnegie Library offers many modern resources for mathematics students. There are two computer rooms in Carnegie Library – one for general mathematics students and another exclusively for graduate students in Mathematics. Carnegie Library offers thousands of mathematics texts and even more on the Syracuse University Library system. These texts can be taken and read among other studying students in the Carnegie Library reading room – an atrium lit by a large, central skylight casting a warm light on the late-Victorian decor.
The faculty offices can be found on the third floor among a new dark hardwood decor while the graduate student offices can be found on the fourth floor in a large cathedral ceiling style open layout. The remaining mathematics graduate student offices are found on the first floor of Archibold.
Carnegie Library News, Events, & Blog
Syracuse University Library History